(also called Koraigad or Kumwarigad) is a fort located about
20 km away from Lonavla in Pune district, Maharashtra, India.
Its date of construction is not known but likely predates
1500. This fort was incorporated into his kingdom by Shivaji
along with the forts of Lohagad, Visapur, Tung and Tikona
in 1657. On March 11, 1818, Col. Prother tried to take over
this fort but even after a prolonged siege could not make
any headway. Finally on 14 March, by igniting the stored
ammunition by means of a loose cannon ball he succeeded
and this fort went to the British.
Tung Fort was built before 1600 CE. It was built by the
Adil Shahi dynasty but was captured by Shivaji. It is small,
not being able to hold more than 200 troops at a time. As
such, it would not have been able to defend itself on its
own for a long time. Its shape and structure suggests that
its main function was as a watchtower guarding the road
to Pune city. Dhamale family one of the Deshmukh from maval
region was charged with ensuring the security of fort tung.
During invasion, it served to provide a temporary distraction